30 June 2008

Hues of war

I've just had dinner and i'm watchin tv in the management club lounge, waiting for all the other internees to finish their dinner. Earphones plugged in my ears i'm listening to A Brave New World by Iron Maiden. I dont know lately i've skipped this song whenever i came across it in my playlist. But today i've decided to listen to it.
The uncle sitting beside me has switched to geo. I can't hear anything obviously, but i can clearly see the blue white orange of geo that has become a warning signal in the recent times. The scrolling headlines are confirming my belief. They're telling me that it was very wise of me to avoid it in the past few days. Why?
"Pakistan starts army operation in northern Areas"
"Richard Boucher arrives in pakistan"
"We've to see if this operation is in the favour of pakistan's interests or not."
"All coalition partners were taken into confidence before starting this operation"
"America would be happy with this operation"
"The US was never in the favour of a deal with taliban"
"We will use force to deal with them-Musharaf"

if this isn't heart-wrenching, demoralising enough, a huge headline appears, covering approximately half of the screen, accompanying it is a video feed of our satisfied looking prime minister
"PM Gillani attending a dinner hosted by a famous industrialist in Karachi"

i look at the tv for the last time. Normally, i'm not one to escape into the realms of ignorance, but this moment i curse television and the moment i decided to turn it on the news channel. I want to cry, not just as an expression of sympathy, but also as an expression of anger, of helplessness...but crying isn't even of any use anymore. We've kept so many tears inside, we've tried to ignore so much, to absorb so much without paying any heed to it that tears seem pointless. Totally pointless.
I just want to close my eyes, to imagine myself in a world where the blue white orange won't haunt me! Where my rulers dont dine over the bodies of my brethren!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well that has always been a sad story...who could imagine that the PM of a country in a bedlam would be personally giving out NIC to people and getting his pics taken? or would go on a lavish umra 'trip' with a group of his sidekicks and their families? can only happen here

m.h.a said...

Yar you know, it really feels strange how these people tend to sugarcoat everything...i mean they're bombing out one tenth of the country and they're so cool about it...the worst part is why the hell do they allow the US defense secretary to set foot in pakistan? They've martyred so many of our soldiers, so many innocent people without even giving a fake pretext! Then, to all this they've got only this to say "we did everything legally"...this is not only their fault, its just utterly stupid on our part as well...devastatingly idiotic