19 June 2008

Day 1: Bahawalpur

Though i think i should've written it yesterday night, instead of writing it in the bus to sadiqabad, i should just be thankful that a blessing such as gprs is still working. My greatest fear came to life when i got off the bus at the daewoo stop at bahawalpur, checked my internet and found out that opera wasn't working. I thought i was doomed. But soon javed uncle came to pick me up and i got home and found out that it did work there and the reason it didn't was something unknown.
I realised yesterday that i really needed this long break from my life, no matter how hard this might be, i know one thing for sure, this is one point of my life when i've learnt to appreciate the smallest things in life, and this is the best time to visit places i haven't seen before and where people dont normally go vacationing!
Anyways, i got a Vip welcome, had good food, took a nap, woke up and decided it was time to have a good look around the city. My cousin ammad readily agreed and we set off on his bike.
I was visiting this city for the first time and i wasn't really disappointed, while bahawalpur is nothing like Lahore, its not bad either. Infact, just because its not as developed or brightly lit doesn't mean it doesn't have its own charms. I was telling mahrukh that this city feels like an oasis in cholistan, as everything around the city speaks of its origins and roots of sand. There's this big road near which my phuppo lives and it seems to go on forever, i.e. Till the city ends.
Sadiq public school was the first thing i noted. I had heard a lot, and the campus was big and fascinating. Really big. The advantage of making institutions ho such cities is the extent of space available! Anyhow, i wanted to see Ammad's college too, and i found this out too that quaid e Azam medical college is one big college. Bigger than K.E and AIMC. But there was something disappointing, its walls were littered with slogans of different political unions. Even the hostel walls. This was something i wish could be eliminated. I'm not against student unions, but here, they're mercilessly corrupted and manipulated, and we dont deserve them right now until we mend our ways.
I wanted to see islamia university too but the main campus known as the baghdad campus is right ho the middle of the desert, outside the city. Somehow visiting different institutions gives me happiness, firstly it tells me that yes there are still places in pakistan where people who are really ALIVE still live and spend their lives. Secondly, it gives me a lot of pride to feel that i'm representing my institution my u.e.t at some other one, although not officially!
We had plum juice, icecream and then burgers from this joint called zanzibar, all the time trying not to compare it with anything in Lahore, because...you just cant, Lahore Lahore hai!
All the while i tried not to think about today, that is the 19th. I have tried to covert all my nervousness to excitement, and i really want to have a good time there. But it so happens that when something is really anticipated, when the real moment arrives you end up having some disappointments. Though i tried to keep the level of my hopes down, but its me, so i think i realise i'll be disappointed in a few areas, or many areas even.
After long chats with guddi phuppo and uncle and ammad, and their insistence on me visiting them once again during my internship, i left the city happily. I'm just given lays and cafe by the daewoo hostess and i'm thanking God i had paratha this morning or i'd be starved!
By the way, i still dont know if warid works ho Daharki!

6 comments:

Summer Cutee said...

lol...i shud thanku for mentioning me :P
hmmm...ohk wat am i supposed to comment on this when i know what happened after this post...

Summer Cutee said...

lol shall i become all editor like and start critically analysing the meat and the grammar of the post :p

Summer Cutee said...

oh and the only reason im commenting on ur blog is so that u comment on mine too :P
i know i know we girls are sooo manipulative but thats how we r :D

Summer Cutee said...

oh wow thats three comments on a single post!!!

Summer Cutee said...

this really has got to be a record for u ;p

Roumopod said...

Hello, I am a Quaidian and came across your blog while looking up stuff on my college. I am disappointed that you found the premises messy. The campus itself is clean, however the hostels are more of a domestic commodity( treated as one i.e.),hence the remarks. However, regarding the political/students unions you were referring too, ?? Quaid-e-Azam Medical College does not have those things since some 8-10 years. The only parties active are religious ones and those too aim at creating a support system if anything. I do hope that you will remember QMC as a place of dignity and white, the color of purity, for that place means the holiest of holies to thousands of us.
Thanks.
Happy Blogging!